Beginner tests: Test 1
English News and articles
Beginners Basic Real English Course
Food & Cooking
Meals & cooking
Food vocabulary - agenda web
Food - BBC
Giving and asking for directions
How to give directions
Exercise for home:
Unit 1 - meeting people
Unit 2 - job & family
Unit 3 - telephoning
Unit 4 - food & shopping
Learn English with Jeniffer
Agenda web - exercises & practice
Learn English through Short Stories
The Draw my Picture Game
BEGINNER/ELEMENTARY PLACEMENT TEST
Beginner: 0-70 points
Elementary: 71-100 points
- Put the following nouns into the plural: (5 points)
- Put A or AN to the following nouns: ….dog; ….apple; ….hour; ….year; ….omelette. (5 points)
- Transcribe the following numerals: (5 points)
- Choose ONE of the following answers: (50 points)
1. ____'s your name? Jack.
2. This is Lucy and her brother, Dan. ____ my friends.
3. _____? I'm from
a) Where are you from?
b) Where you are from?
c) Where from you are?
d) From where you are?
4. _____? It’s 6 o’clock in the evening.
a) Which is the time?
b) What time is?
c) What time is it?
d) What is the hour?
5. ____ a beautiful house on the bank of the river.
a) it is
c) there is
d) this is
6. Mary ____ at work.
7. ____ any rooms available in this hotel?
c) are they
d) are there
8. We would like to leave at _____.
a) a quarter past nine
b) a quarter after nine
c) quarter past nine
d) nine and a quarter
9. ____ is your brother? He's 20 years old.
a) How many years
b) How much years
c) What years
d) How old
10. My name's Jim and this is Susan. ____ doctors from
11. Sorry, _____ Tom. My name is Charles.
a) I is not
b) I aren’t
c) I am not
d) I isn’t
12. ____? No, he isn't.
a) Are they teachers?
b) Are you from
c) Is Smith a manager?
d) Is this your phone?
13. Oh, ______ are my books!
14. This is ____ school.
c) of Tom
d) for Tom
15. My parents have _____ own apartment.
16. ______ a car? Yes, he has a nice car.
a) Do he has
b) Does he has
c) Do he have
d) Does he have
17. Elisa ______ any money.
a) have not
b) don’t have
c) doesn’t have
d) doesn’t has
18. Your bag is next ____ the table.
19. I go to work ____ bus.
20. I wake up early ____ the morning.
21. Sam _____ in our company.
b) is working
c) is work
22. ____ they live in
23. ____ to the cinema.
a) We not often go
b) We don't go often
c) We don't often go
d) Often we don't go
24. When do you swim? ____ Tuesdays.
25. What time ______ work?
a) do she starts
b) does she starts
c) is she start
d) does she start
26. ____ two airports in the city.
a) It is
b) There is
c) There are
d) This is
27. There aren’t ____ in this area.
a) no restaurants
b) any restaurant
c) a restaurant
d) any restaurants
28. Usually I ____ my holiday at the seaside.
a) am spending
d) am spend
29. He is a good singer, but I don’t like _____
30. My sister _______ the piano right now, so don’t disturb her.
a) is playing
c) is playng
31. They ______ lunch at the moment.
b) are haveing
c) are having
32. ________ colder and colder every day.
a) it gets
b) it get
c) it will get
d) it is getting
33. What _______ tonight?
a) is she doing
b) does she do
c) does she
d) do she does
34. The train ______ at 5 o’clock pm.
a) is departing
d) is departed
35. He was born ____ June 5th, 1990.
36. These people ______ actors in 1970.
c) were being
37. This is ________.
a) an hotel expensive
b) a expensive hotel
c) a hotel expensive
d) an expensive hotel
38. Did you _____ to the beach yesterday?
39. What _______ your parents?
a) did you tell
b) you told
c) did you told
d) did you telled
40. Jim _______ basketball with me last week.
a) didn’t played
b) not played
c) didn’t play
d) doesn’t played
41. Where _____ you like to go tonight?
42. Were you at the shops at 5 p.m. yesterday? No, I ____
b) am not
43. Excuse me, ____ is the T-shirt? It's ₤20.
a) what expensive
b) how much
c) how many
d) how price
44. Sheila is six years old, but she _____ play the guitar very well.
a) can plays
b) cans play
c) can play
d) can plays
45. I am afraid I _____ you right now.
a) can’t help
b) can’t helps
c) don’t can help
d) can help you not
46. I ____ my computer very often.
a) am not using
b) don't use
c) doesn't use
d) am not use
47. It's my mum's birthday next week. I ____ her a present.
c) am going to buy
48. What ______ do after work tonight?
a) are you do
b) are you going to do
d) do you
49. The teacher ______ teach us next year.
a) is not going to
b) is not
c) does not
d) do not
50. How many people ______?
a) did vote
c) do voted
d) are voted?
- Rearrange the words to make sentences: (5 points)
a) picture // this // in //are // four // people // there
b) did // moon // Neil Armstrong // on // when // walk // the
c) Students // competition // participated // the // how many // in?
London // she // lives // no
longer // in.
e) The // parcel // I //post office // to // forgot // deliver // at // the
- Choose the best variant in italics: (10 points)
a) That’s the baddest/worst movie I have ever seen.
New York is one of the more interesting/most interesting cities
in the world.
c) Your dog is friendlyer/friendlier than mine.
d) My dad didn’t sell/hasn’t sold his car yet.
e) I have been a doctor until/since 1988.
f) I haven’t seen/haven’t saw you for a long time.
g) Have you just/ever been on television?
h) She won/has won a lot of awards so far.
i) You needn’t/mustn’t buy sugar because I have already done that.
j) You must/can’t wear shoes while you are driving.
READING-COMPREHENSION ( 10 points)
Read the following text and answer the questions below:
In the years after the Civil War, most American painters received their training in Europe, the majority studying in the French schools at
or Barbizon, and a smaller number in Germany at Munich
The teaching of the Dusseldorf Barbizon
school, which stressed the use of colour and the creation of an impression or a
mood influenced many American artists. One group of American painters led by
James McNeil Whistler and John Singer Sargent, expatriated themselves from the
American scene and settled in Europe.
Whistler, who is often ranked as the greatest genius in the history of American
art, was a versatile and industrious artist who was equally proficient in
several media – oil, watercolour, etching, and with several themes – portraits,
and his so-called “nocturnes”, impressionistic sketches of moonlight on water
and other scenes. He was one of the first to appreciate the beauty of Japanese
colour prints and to introduce Oriental concepts into Western art.
1. For a period after the Civil War the majority of American painters
a) painted the impressionist style
b) studied art in
c) used striking colour in their work
d) were influenced by the
2. According to the passage, one group of American painters
a) copied the style of Whistler and Sargent
never to return America
c) were unaffected by the European style of painting
d) turned their back on American art tradition
3. From the passage we are led to believe that Whistler
a) produced a large number of pictures
b) was the most proficient in impressionistic sketches
c) did much of his painting at night
d) combined several media and themes in his painting
4. Whistler was one of the Western painters who
a) admire Japanese oil
b) start producing Japanese sketches
c) become interested in Japanese painting
d) use Japanese ideas in his work
5. The main theme of this passage is:
a) the influence of Oriental art on Whistler
b) the American painter’s influence in
c) the influence of European art on American painters
d) Whistler’s influence on Japanese art
WRITING (10 points)
Write a short description about a typical day of your life. (no more than 10 lines)